Health, Safety and Security
At The American School of Madrid, the health and safety of our students, employees, parents, and guests is of utmost importance. With that in mind, the Board has established health, safety, and security measures that are effective, efficient, and consistent with the purposes and practices of the School.
The School recognizes the need to provide adequate medical facilities to handle emergency situations. To meet this obligation, ASM maintains a Health Office supervised by two qualified nurses who, during school hours, are responsible for providing first aid to children or adults when necessary. The nurses will determine the severity of an emergency situation and will ensure that children are returned to their regular activities, sent home or transported to the nearest hospital, as the situation dictates. In situations which require ongoing care, parents should consult their family physician.
ASM’s security plan consists of policies and procedures which aim to anticipate security concerns that could arise at an American overseas school. In order to meet the goals established by the Board with regard to maximizing the security of the students, parents, faculty, and staff, the school retains the services of a local security contractor to provide the following services:
- 24-hour campus-wide security service by qualified armed or unarmed guards, as necessary, 365 days per year.
- Assistance in the prevention of fires and other dangers, and in minimizing the peril caused by such threats to the individuals present in the danger area.
- Installation, supervision, maintenance, and activation of alarms and other warning systems used to advise people of impending dangers.
- Communication of incidents to the appropriate administrators and the Headmaster.
- Identification and, if deemed necessary, security searches of all visitors, including parents, students, and employees, as well as their respective vehicles.
- Supervision/monitoring of areas of access to the campus as well as of deliveries to the School.
In addition to these measures, the Board has approved the Access to Campus Policy, a summary of which is distributed to the ASM Community on an annual basis. Any questions regarding the health, safety, and security procedures at ASM should be directed either to the Director of Administrative Services or Nurse, as appropriate.