Our Security Plan
ASM’s security plan consists of policies and procedures which aim to anticipate security concerns that could arise at an American overseas school. In order to meet the goals established by the Board with regard to maximizing the security of the students, parents, faculty, and staff, the school retains the services of a local security contractor to provide the following services:
- 24-hour campus-wide security service by qualified armed or unarmed guards, as necessary, 365 days per year.
- Assistance in the prevention of fires and other dangers, and in minimizing the peril caused by such threats to the individuals present in the danger area.
- Installation, supervision, maintenance, and activation of alarms and other warning systems used to advise people of impending dangers.
- Communication of incidents to the appropriate administrators and the Headmaster.
- Identification and, if deemed necessary, security searches of all visitors, including parents, students, and employees, as well as their respective vehicles.
- Supervision/monitoring of areas of access to the campus as well as of deliveries to the School.
Our ASM IDs are used by staff, parents, and Upper School students to go through the main gate. The procedure is straightforward and simple. Show your ID and walk through. Adults and US students who do not have their ASM IDs will need to step aside and show a picture ID and be checked off a master list by the security guards. We will have an Admin presence outside the gate at drop-off and dismissal time to check IDs. You will also need to show your ID on weekends and at events and activities.
We live in a time when safety and security are on our minds and in the news in ways unimaginable not that long ago. We want to ensure that we are doing all that is prudent and practical to keep a sense of freedom and welcome in our community but also a constant vigilance for all that keeps us safe.
The ASM Child Protection Policy
The safety of our children is our highest priority. In order for our children to thrive in school, we must ensure their safety. American School of Madrid, in accordance with our core values and vision statement, has developed and implemented a Child Protection Policy to guide our staff and families in matters related to the health, safety and care of our children at ASM.
The ASM Child Protection Policy is based on international law and on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child of which Spain is a signatory. Additionally, ASM is required to follow local Spanish Law. The two key articles from the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child that drive our Child Protection Policy are:
Article 19 - Protection from abuse and neglect
The State shall protect the child from all forms of maltreatment by parents or others responsible for the care of the child and establish appropriate social programs for the prevention of abuse and the treatment of victims.
Article 34 - Sexual exploitation
The State shall protect children from sexual exploitation and abuse, including prostitution and involvement in pornography.
By enrolling your child at The American School of Madrid, you agree to work in partnership with our school and abide by the policies adopted by our school. At ASM, we believe that our partnership is fundamental in ensuring the safety and care of our children.
As part of our overall educational programs and in order to ensure that our children are treated with respect and dignity at all times, the The American School of Madrid will:
- Provide age appropriate lessons at each division to help students understand personal safety, personal needs, and personal rights.
- Provide parent materials and information sessions to help you better understand our programs and policy.
- Ensure school employees and contracted staff are given Professional Development in regards to abuse and neglect.
We thank you for your support and we know that we can work together to ensure that our children are safe and knowledgeable about their rights and responsibilities in a safe and supportive environment. We are available to answer any questions you may have.
Data Policy en Español
- Información básica sobre protección de datos personales
- Información ampliada sobre protección de datos personales
- Medidas y niveles de seguridad
- Consentimiento del Usuario
- Confidencialidad y secreto profesional
Información básica sobre protección de datos personales
Información ampliada sobre protección de datos personales
Medidas y niveles de seguridad
Consentimiento del Usuario
Confidencialidad y secreto profesional
Data Policy in English
- Basic Information about Data Protection
- Basic Information about Protection of Personal Data
- Security Meaures and Levels of Security
- User Consent
- Confidentiality and Privacy